Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cut!...It's A Take!

In 1965, Delon and MacLaine costar in "The Yellow Rolls-Royce," a film about a 1930 Phantom II Sedanca de Ville -- so what are they doing in a Ferrari in this scene? It's a film of three stories about the lives and loves of those who own a certain yellow Rolls-Royce. Give me the Ferrari over the Rolls...any day!

Photo: Denis Cameron/Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images Jan 01, 1965.

I'm not a Ferrari aficionado...but this looks like a Ferrari 250 California Spider. This is how this legendary car came about.

Thanks to Ferrari's reputation in motor sports, and the work of importer Luigi Chinetti, the United States became an important market. John Von Neumann, the west coast representative, thought that there was potential for an open Spider suited to the Californian sun, a sort of open 250 GT Berlinetta. Chinetti welcomed the proposal and convinced Enzo Ferrari that it was a good idea. Scaglietti was therefore given the opportunity to create this beautiful car, building 106 of them, nine with aluminium bodies. Today, these babies are worth well over several million apiece.

To share a comment, link to the post at: http://www.johnstraub.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. John-

    I saw the Ferrari thing. I thought you might be interested in another movie I saw on a trans Atlantic plane flight once. I didn't get the title of the movie, I think it was in French with sub titles. Anyway, a guy in the movie was driving a pristine yellow European 993 RS, which I was enjoying the sight of when, during a lover's quarrel, a guy TAKES AN AXE to the RS. This guy was driving holes into the aluminum hood and I am sure the RS was not a prop. I got sick and went to another movie.

    --
    Cheers, Bob Gagnon

    ReplyDelete