Sunday, January 17, 2010

My first Real Post

To start off my Blogging I'm going to tell you about one of our PCA members.

Our Region recently lost a long time member. Pat Scanlan joined our Region in 1968 and was a avid Porsche owner even to the end.

I'll tell you a little about Pat. He was a past Board Member, Concours Chairman as well as hosting numerous Tech Sessions on Concours and how to cosmetically maintain your car. His passion was teaching members of our local club how to participate in and injoy the sport of Concours.

I came to know Pat during the year he joined the club. He took this young kid and said, "Will you Co-Chair an club event with me?"...and I did, my first event that I Co-Chaired.

Pat came into the Porsche world first picking up his 356 in Europe, then moved on to his '68 911L, a 914, a 356 Speedster, a 964, a 911 Speedster and a 996 all of which had the best of home.
But some of my best memories of Pat still to this day are the two years we spent working on the Alan Johnson Racing Team. It was two years of racing up and down the West Coast and making the SCCA Runoffs in Atlanta both years. I think in my mind we had the ultimate team owned by Alan...a team that had low points and high points, a team that within those two years became family all with Pat always there with his integrity, creatively, ingenious way of fabricating what we needed to win. Without Pat...I'm sure our team would not have been the family that it was.

I have lost a true friend, but the Club has also lost a true enthusiast of the "Old School" type. Godspeed Pat.


Last years BOD charged me with the honor of creating a perpetual award in Pat's name as his estate donaed $5000 to our club.

The Award reads:

Pat Scanlan
Perpetual Concours d'Elegance Cup
"Best Porsche Representing Excellence"

This award is in honor of Pat, whose passion in San Diego Region of the Porsche Club of America, was teaching the joys of concouring and to further the enthusiasm of participation in that sport to fellow club members.

Pat was a member of San Diego Region from 1968 to 2009.

In honor of his contributions to the club, it was established and is awarded to the highest placing San Diego Region member in our traditional yearly Concours.

2 comments:

  1. I found this page after reminiscing about my high school auto shop days and Pat's Porsche Speedsters. He taught me from 1982-1984. Great guy. - Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too found this page after thinking about Pat. I bought his 993 (left to my uncle after he passed) in January 2010 and drove it back from CA to it's new home in North Carolina. It was a fantastic trip in a magnificent automobile. I am hooked and think of him each time I detail his black "ei". I met him a few times and always enjoyed talking Porsches wit him.

    Chip Sarnie

    ReplyDelete